Doug Mason has over 25 years of experience in institutional advancement. He joined Gonser Gerber in 1992 and became a partner with the firm in 1995. During his tenure with the firm, he has served as consultant to a broad range of colleges, universities, hospitals, and other nonprofit organizations nationally. Doug provides consulting services in several key areas including:
- Major gifts
- Capital campaigns
- Planned giving
- Annual fund
- Board development
- Financial aid
- Coaching for chief executive officers
- Strategic planning, public relations, and integrated marketing
He has advised his clients on numerous capital campaigns and comprehensive strategies that have ranged from $10 million to $200 million. Before joining Gonser Gerber he served his alma mater, Wartburg College, as Vice President for Advancement, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students, and Director of Admissions over the course of a ten-year period. During his decade at Wartburg College gift income doubled, a major gifts campaign was launched and successfully completed, an integrated marketing team was built, and enrollment grew by 35%.
Education & Achievements
- B.A. in Music Education from Wartburg College
- Masters degree in Educational Administration and Educational Specialist degrees from Drake University
- Completed Harvard’s Institute for Educational Management in 1990
- Spoke at national meetings of the Council of Independent Colleges and Universities (CIC), the Counsel for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), the Association of Lutheran Development Executives (ALDE), and a variety of local and regional meetings of other professional associations.
- Professional memberships in CASE, AHP, AFP, and ALDE.
Doug enjoys being with his family, particularly after spending over 200 days a year on the road with his clients. His wife, daughter, son, and four grandchildren, are a great joy. Doug is an avid golfer and enjoys playing with Naperville friends or clients on the road. Doug loves the beauty of the outdoors and a few times a year he makes sure that a fishing excursion to Minnesota, Canada – or on rare occasions – a deep sea fishing destination gets on the schedule!